Friday, May 14, 2004

on a weekly basis the physiology department curriculum includes tutorials. during these 2 hour tutorial there's a quiz over what's covered during the previous week and then there is a drilling session. my roll number was called. i was supposed to explain the involuntary esophageal stage of degluttination. that's a fancy word for swallowing. anyway i'm explaining the nervous control by starting out with the sensory afferents that transmit impulses through trigeminal and glossopharyngeal nerves. that's a fancy name for the 5th and the 9th cranial nerves. and i'm discussing with much confidence how the medulla oblongata recieves these impulses from the mouth. and then i say something super stupid like the swallowing center lies at the level of the tractus solitarus muscle. i managed to put a muscle in the brain. for a second i didn't even realize my mistake until i saw a slight smile on the instructor's face and i had no choice but to laugh at myself which was followed by our tutorial group laughing at me. it was great. one of my good friends and i usually run things by each other. if there's a topic we've studied we explain it to each other just to make sure we have an idea of what we are talking about. so every time that she asked me i answered with well i don't know i managed to place a muscle in the brain i don't know if you should concur with me. sigh. i like my geekiness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home